History of the Park

photo by ROXANE FILION

photo by ROXANE FILION

The beginning: Rémi Lake Provincial Park
It is in 1955 that the work started to develop the park; the initial work to build a provincial park on Rémi Lake was done with the help of inmates from Monteith Correctional Centre.  It officially became a Provincial Park on the 25th of June 1957; at that time, it was known as Remi Lake Provincial Park.  

René Brunelle
In 1983, the park was renamed René Brunelle Provincial Park in honor of Mr. René Brunelle’s positive contribution to the region.  Mr. René Brunelle was a local resident who, after coming back from serving during the war, became not only a great promoter of Remi Lake, but he also had a 23-year career as a politician.  He was a member of the Provincial Government representing Cochrane North from 1958 and 1981.